[ntp:questions] Re: Help needed with excessive drift

mike michael.no.spam.cook at wanadoo.fr
Wed May 4 08:02:58 UTC 2005

Tom Smith wrote:

> Just to be certain, you're doing the following?
>
> stop ntpd
> delete /etc/ntp.drift (or whatever your ntp.conf points to)
> ntpdate -b [server] to set the clock
> start ntpd
> wait a day or so for stabilzation
>
> -Tom

This may not be enough if the kernel is already operating with  a skewed
adjtime value. This may already be fixed, but I had a problem a couple
of years back where due to a misconfiguration, /etc/adjtime had got a
wild value in it. My system clock refused to stabilise and I had
horrible drift values till I had erased it and the drift file and
rebooted. Just erasing didn't help as I believe that it is normally only
read at boot time. I have not tried it, but it is probably possible to
clean up on the fly by using hwclock --set as this will initialise the
file (RTFM).
Note that this is for Linux, there may not be the same facility in other
flavours of unix.