[ntp:questions] ntp client: keep all servers at startup

mayer at gis.net mayer at gis.net
Wed May 4 12:57:33 UTC 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
> You might consider configuring the server as a broadcast server, and
> the client as a broadcast client. That way the client will be
> listening for incoming packets at startup. If none arrive, or the
> server does not  respond, it should just stay in the listening mode.
> So if the server  isn't up/responding it should not affect the
> capability of the client to  aquire good time once the server is back
> online.

It will not show up in the list of associations until the server is
reachable, whether it's set up for broadcast or as a server. The daemon
will keep trying at regular intervals until it's available, sets up
the association and then looks to see where it fits within the other
associations that it has. Just because it doesn't show up doesn't mean
that it's not trying to reach it.

Danny