[ntp:questions] Re: NTP and satellite offset

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed May 4 15:36:15 UTC 2005

gsienkiewicz wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am trying to implement an NTP server into a satellite network to
>update remote hosts. I am having difficulties accouting for the delay
>in the transfer due to latency on the medium used for communication. I
>am wandering if anyone could suggest an NTPd solution to the problem,
>or a separate NTP server application.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Greg Sienkiewicz
>Computer System Technician

I think you might get far better results at far less expense by
installing a GPS receiver at each remote site!  The maximum error in
transmitting time from server to client via NTP is limited to one half
the round trip delay.   If the outbound an return delays are
symmetrical, the error will probably be far less than one half the round
trip delay but if they are random and/or asymmetrical, NTP just isn't
going to work very well!