[ntp:questions] ntp client: keep all servers at startup

Ralf Fassel ralfixx at gmx.de
Wed May 4 19:15:57 UTC 2005

* Ronan Flood <ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
| Is that ntpd timing out on initial DNS resolution of the server
| names, though?  What happens if you use the IP address(es) for the
| server(s) in ntp.conf?

I thought that too, first, but using the numeric IP does not change
anything.  The server does not get listed in 'ntpq -c pe' if I start
ntpd while the network is unplugged.

| Also might be helpful to know the version of ntpd and what OS you're
| running.

For testing here:
Client: Binary NTP distribution ntp-4.2.0a, Windows XP SP2.
Server: NTP 4.1.0, SGI IRIX.

The final installation will have both machines Windows, ntp-4.2.0a.

R'