[ntp:questions] Re: NTPD for Windows 2000

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Wed May 4 20:52:45 UTC 2005

Will wrote:

> Does anyone sell a Linux or FreeBSD box that is already preset to
> work as a time server?

Possibly, but if you take a look at the wiki article I wrote about using
an Endrun Præcis CT, you'll see that it is quite easy to do, for no cost
at all beyond an old PC to run it on, and the selected refclock:

http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringEndrunPraecisCTRefclocks

The exact same setup script would work with a TrueTime (Symmetricom) GPS
clock, and by replacing the 127.127.5.0 driver with 127.127.20.0 generic
NMEA driver, it would work with pretty much any GPS on the market, as
long as it could output NMEA message and output a PPS signal on the
Carrier Detect line.

For close to perfect performance, the combination of a Soekris FreeBSD
box and a Motorola Oncore GPS will still be quite a bit cheaper than any
of the preconfigured rack mount servers.

I believe Poul-Henning (phk of FreeBSD core team fame) recently set up,
tested and sold 8 or 10 such configurations. I'd ask him what he'd
charge for one more of those. :-)

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>