[ntp:questions] PPS Output from NTP

Tony anthony.flavin at bt.com
Thu May 5 13:44:54 UTC 2005

Having a fairly large NTP deployment, I would like to perform a
hardware
measurement of one of the NTP servers (Stratum 3) against the PPS
signal
from the GPS on the Stratum 1. However I can't think of a way of
getting the
Linux ST3 to generate a pulse in User mode that won't get delayed by
the
scheduler etc and introduce errors to the readings.
The PPS kit would be an option as this does not run in user mode, but
will
only echo an incoming PPS.

Does anybody know of a way to get a the kernel to generate a 1PPS
signal
that would not suffer this problem?

Someone must have done this, or else how do we really know we have the
time
correct?

Thanks,