[ntp:questions] ntp client: keep all servers at startup

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Thu May 5 13:51:24 UTC 2005

Ralf Fassel <ralfixx at gmx.de> wrote:
> | Is that ntpd timing out on initial DNS resolution of the server
> | names, though?  What happens if you use the IP address(es) for the
> | server(s) in ntp.conf?
>
> I thought that too, first, but using the numeric IP does not change
> anything.  The server does not get listed in 'ntpq -c pe' if I start
> ntpd while the network is unplugged.

Odd, that's not my experience: I've just tried it with 4.2.0a at 1.1290
under Solaris 8 with the network interface turned off (ifconfig down)
and the resolver stopped for good measure, and the server IP addresses
stay listed, as I would expect.  I generally use "ntpq -n -c pe" to
avoid DNS lookups for the list output.

> For testing here:
> Client: Binary NTP distribution ntp-4.2.0a, Windows XP SP2.
> Server: NTP 4.1.0, SGI IRIX.
>
> The final installation will have both machines Windows, ntp-4.2.0a.

Hmm.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for