[ntp:questions] Re: Help needed with excessive drift

mlawdawg at yahoo.com mlawdawg at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 22:52:57 UTC 2005

I'm running on vxWorks, which doesn't have adjtime().

All the hw I run has a battery backed RTC, so the time is "close" to
correct after system reboots. In all my tests, the system's time before
starting ntpd is within ~200secs of the correct time.

For the record, I'm was doing the following:
> reboot
> delete ntp.drift
> start ntpd

Within 15 minutes, the system time would be "stepped", via
"step_systime" adjustment. On vxWorks, this results in a call to
clock_settime(). After 8-16 hours, I would see the freq drift to -500.

I don't have the ntpdate program ported, but I can run ntpd with "-q"
to simulate ntpdate. Doing so after a reboot results in the time being
stepped by less than 200 secs, which correlates with what I saw by
visually comparing times.