[ntp:questions] Re: Help needed with excessive drift

mlawdawg at yahoo.com mlawdawg at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 00:04:04 UTC 2005

I appreciate your comments. However, that's not my understanding from
the documentation (ntpd.html & misopt.html) The docs state that the
"step threshold" defaults to 128ms. If an adjustment is needed that's >
than the step threshold, the clock is stepped. Otherwise, it's adjusted
or "slewed" (per source comments). The panic threshold defaults to
1000s. If an adjustment is needed > than the panic threshold, ntp will
exit. The -g does prevent's the panic check on the initial adjustment.
Also, from watching ntpd behavior, it sets my clock correctly when the
first adjustment is ~200secs. That's well under the panic threshold of
1000s.