[ntp:questions] Re: Help needed with excessive drift

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri May 6 12:17:19 UTC 2005

At 9:41 AM +0000 2005-05-06, Tom Smith wrote:

>  Yes, failure to read can be a real problem, as can quoting out
>  of context.
>
>  "You need to insert "ntpdate -b [server]" before you start ntpd.
>  If you don't have an ntpdate, insert an "ntpd -gq" before you
>  delete ntp.drift."

	As specified before, being 200 seconds out is not a problem for
ntpd.  The panic threshold is 1000 seconds, and he's well within that
limit.  There is no need to run "ntpdate" or "ntpd -gq" before
starting up a normal ntpd, although that is an option.

>  Mr. Law is rebooting, then deleting ntp.drift, then sometimes running
>  ntpd -g(?),

	He's sometimes running "ntpd -q", according to the messages from
him which you are mis-quoting.

>              then running ntpd. I asked what happened if he
>  deleted ntpd

	I presume you mean the ntp.drift file?

>               AFTER setting the clock and BEFORE running ntpd. I'm
>  sure Mr. Law has an answer that _he_ can provide.

	That's not what you said before.  That may have been what you
meant, but that's not what you said.

>  Failure to quote accurately is just rude.

	Indeed, and I believe you are just as guilty of this problem as
anyone else.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755