[ntp:questions] Re: Refclocks for the Ultra-Cheap

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at uk.me.buzzard
Fri May 6 19:59:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 06 May 2005 10:26:00 -0700, Will wrote:

> What are some extremely cheap options for locally attached
> refclocks, preferably under $400 total cost?   I don't need
> extreme accuracy.   Frankly accuracy to one second is sufficient.
> The application is Kerberos.    For various reasons the networks
> internal time server cannot easily use an NTP client, so I really
> prefer to find a locally attached refclock.

Probably one of the cheapest refclocks is

    http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/radioclock.html

However this does require that you be in range of one of the various
longwave radio clocks around the world. It supports MSF, DCF77, WWVB
and HBG out the box. It should be trivial to add JJY support as well.

JAB.

Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195