[ntp:questions] Re: bc637PCI-U Reference Clock Driver

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat May 7 01:01:14 UTC 2005

Rob,

Actually, the TPRO driver (12), Bancomm (16) and TT560 (41) drivers are
very similar, since all they do at each poll event is suck up some
registers, reformat as necessary, and let the refclock interface do the
rest. I may have the last TPRO interface in the world and all my SBus
machines have died, so probably driver 12 should be retired. Driver 16
is in active use at the UNSO sites now. I don't know how many TT560
boards there are out there; I have one and I suspect TrueTime sold a
bunch of them now probably on EBay.

I think it only makes sense to combine the drivers if the result did not
need to be told which device is connected other than perhaps to
configure the device name and/or link. For the combined Spectracom,
Truetime and ACTS drivers, you don't need to do anything except install
the link.

In any case, I'm not thrilled about patching one driver to create
another. That's what the original USNO driver did and that created
problems. None of the driver sources now require any other sources other
than header files and the common interface. So, if you believe combining
your driver with the Bancomm driver is not practical, please consider to
implement yours as a standalone driver.

Dave