[ntp:questions] Re: Refclocks for the Ultra-Cheap

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at uk.me.buzzard
Sat May 7 09:53:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 06 May 2005 16:48:40 -0700, David Schwartz wrote:

> "Will" <DELETE_westes at earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> news:XtqdnSGNOsfjbObfRVn-1g at giganews.com...
>
>> I'd certainly give that approach a try, but what kind of antenna is going
>> be required to pickup a Colorado radio signal from California?
>
>     The signal is powerful and at a fairly low frequency. You should be able
> to pick it up most of the time without too much trouble. However, I urge
> against using such devices. I have personally had very bad luck with them,
> and they generally cost about as much as a GPS receiver, which is far
> superior. (Assuming you can arrange for the antenna to have a view of open
> sky.)

That is some very cheap GPS receiver or a very expensive LW radio clock
module you brought. A MSF/WWVB/JJY60 receiver should cost less than $50 to
build and a DCF77 less than $40.

Regardless to that they make an excellent cheap backup to GPS.

JAB.

Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195