[ntp:questions] Re: Refclocks for the Ultra-Cheap

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Sat May 7 10:05:10 UTC 2005

"Jonathan Buzzard" <jonathan at uk.me.buzzard> wrote in message
news:pan.2005.05.07.09.53.47.410962 at uk.me.buzzard...

> That is some very cheap GPS receiver or a very expensive LW radio clock
> module you brought. A MSF/WWVB/JJY60 receiver should cost less than $50 to
> build and a DCF77 less than $40.

    GPS receivers are less than $100. The WWVB receivers I experimented with
were around $80. You could find more expensive GPS receivers and cheaper
WWVB receivers. GPS is just much more accurate and reliable.

> Regardless to that they make an excellent cheap backup to GPS.

    Certainly. No matter how accurate and reliable GPS is, it is possible
for the system to fail.

    DS