[ntp:questions] Re: How to get combined clock offset

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat May 7 19:37:13 UTC 2005

David,

By design the two error metrics are root synchroniztion distance
(rootdelay / 2 + rootdispersion + jitter) and combined jitter (weighted
by synchronization distance). The former is the maximum error, the
latter the estimated error. There are tricky little details in the error
budget that have changed over the versions, but the original intent remains.

Please do not use ntpdc as error indicator; it is seriously flawed. Use
ntpq and the rv billboard for the rootdelay, rootdispersion and jitter
displays. Note the jitter display, which includes both peer jitter and
selection jitter, is probably the best indicator of expected time
quality. Read this as follows: the best estimate of the server time is
the offset in the rv display, with jitter as the uncertainty about that
value.

That's all that can be said about the statistics. A more thorough
analysis would have to use the loopstats and compute the distribution
function, such as displayed in the briefings on the NTP project page.

Dave