[ntp:questions] Re: Refclocks for the Ultra-Cheap

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at uk.me.buzzard
Sat May 7 20:08:53 UTC 2005

On Sat, 07 May 2005 03:05:10 -0700, David Schwartz wrote:

> "Jonathan Buzzard" <jonathan at uk.me.buzzard> wrote in message
> news:pan.2005.05.07.09.53.47.410962 at uk.me.buzzard...
>
>> That is some very cheap GPS receiver or a very expensive LW radio clock
>> module you brought. A MSF/WWVB/JJY60 receiver should cost less than $50 to
>> build and a DCF77 less than $40.
>
>     GPS receivers are less than $100. The WWVB receivers I experimented with
> were around $80. You could find more expensive GPS receivers and cheaper
> WWVB receivers. GPS is just much more accurate and reliable.

Both the MSF and DCF77 clocks I have, are *very* reliable, and I don't
have to worry about making sure they can see the whole sky either. I
cannot really comment on the HGB clock as it has not been in operation
that long. The MSF and DCF77 have been operating now for a couple of
years, and cost me less back then than your cheap GPS costs today.

JAB.

Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195