[ntp:questions] Re: Refclocks for the Ultra-Cheap

You have no need to know anjahnoaoed at fl.net.invalid
Mon May 9 10:28:41 UTC 2005

Abandoning the right to remain silent, Jonathan Buzzard at Sat, 07 May
2005 21:08:53 +0100 said:

> On Sat, 07 May 2005 03:05:10 -0700, David Schwartz wrote:
>

>> "Jonathan Buzzard" <jonathan at uk.me.buzzard> wrote in message
>> news:pan.2005.05.07.09.53.47.410962 at uk.me.buzzard...
>>
>>> That is some very cheap GPS receiver or a very expensive LW radio clock
>>> module you brought. A MSF/WWVB/JJY60 receiver should cost less than $50 to
>>> build and a DCF77 less than $40.
>>
>>     GPS receivers are less than $100. The WWVB receivers I experimented with
>> were around $80. You could find more expensive GPS receivers and cheaper
>> WWVB receivers. GPS is just much more accurate and reliable.
>
> Both the MSF and DCF77 clocks I have, are *very* reliable, and I don't
> have to worry about making sure they can see the whole sky either. I
> cannot really comment on the HGB clock as it has not been in operation
> that long. The MSF and DCF77 have been operating now for a couple of
> years, and cost me less back then than your cheap GPS costs today.

As far as I can find out, long wave time sources will exist in Australia
sometime after hell freezes over. Until then the GPS suppliers will
continue to gouge us. I can buy a GPS18 LVC from the US, airfreight it
here and pay the taxes for less than I could get it over the counter.

--
Avoid reality at all costs.
$email =~ s/n(.)a(.)n(.)a(.)e(.+)invalid/$1$2$3$4$5au/;