[ntp:questions] NTPD 4 hours off date problem

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon May 9 14:34:53 UTC 2005

At 3:45 PM +0200 2005-05-09, X.B. wrote:

>  The computer i'm using has no cmos battery, so each time it is cold
>  rebooted, the internal clock is set to something around 01-01-2000.
>
>  In this case, ntpd -g -q cannot set up the date correctly.
>  Nor can ntpd -g ...

	There is a 1000 second sanity check, and if you're outside of
that then ntpd will refuse to start.  However, this can be
over-ridden with the "-g" option.  At that point, you should be able
to use ntpd to sync your time regardless of how far off your system
clock is.

	If that's not working, I think you've got much more serious problems.

>  I've gone through the source code, and found that antenna's NTP packets
>  are thrown out (1) because the date they contain is more than 4 hours
>  (CLOSETIME 4*60*60) off the system date ... So ntpd refuse to set the date.

	Precisely where in the code are you seeing this?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755