[ntp:questions] Re: PCI add on oscillator

Greg Dowd GDowd at symmetricom.com
Mon May 9 20:16:27 UTC 2005

Look at the refclock driver list.  There are many add-in cards from
Meinberg, Symmetricom and others which are supported by refclock
drivers.  These cards typically include a voltage-controlled crystal
oscillator and dac control circuit to provide much better stability than
your standard xtal as well a stratum 1 functionality with an attached
reference source (gps, irig, etc).  But, it's all relative.  Ntpd does
pretty well with drift compensation on a well-soaked box for short
intervals.  How long to do you need to flywheel?

Many of the add-in cards have ovenized crystal options.  If you move
into Vxi or VME space, you can even go atomic with Rubidium.  If you
have the money, we can even provide a hydrogen maser.  Unfortunately, it
won't fit in a pci slot.

If you want to go the other way, you might be able to tack in a
replacement RTC on your mboard.  I think Dallas has a drop-in rtc with a
temperature compensated crystal.

Message: 3