[ntp:questions] NTP on Windows without I/O Completion Ports

Som Naderi snaderi at spawar.navy.mil
Mon May 9 22:59:41 UTC 2005

Hello all.  I'm having a problem with NTP (4.2.0) for Windows.  When I
compile NTP for Windows without I/O completion ports, I can't get the
service to stop.  I've tried it on XP and 2000.  Is there anything I need to
know?  All I'm doing right now is commenting out the #define for the
completion ports and recompile.  I also comment out an
"uninit_io_completion_port()" call in the service_exit() call. it isn't
wrapped in the completion port #define, but that doesn't seem to lead to any
non-completion port related code.  Also, the build fails if I don't comment
it out.

When I go to services and try to stop the NTP service, it just sits there
and never stops.  Eventually I get a Windows error telling me the service
won't stop.  Forever after, the NTP service is marked as "Stopping".

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Som Naderi
SPAWAR Systems Center, San Diego