[ntp:questions] Re: can't bind socket 10048

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Wed May 11 19:31:17 UTC 2005

In article <4282568d$0$10507$9b4e6d93 at newsread4.arcor-online.net>,
hans at msn.de wrote:

> I wanted to use the WINSNTP ver.15f to synchronise with a time server.

Why, given that XP comes with a broken but passable SNTP already installed,
and if you want something better, the reference implementation of the
full NTP protocol will run on XP?

> but when I launch the exe the above mentioned error message emerges then

I doubt that anyone here knows anything about WINSNTP, but I suspect it may
be failing because you are already running W32Time, Microsoft's almost SNTP
implementation.

Actually, looking at Coetanian Sytems' web site, it looks like even they
acknowledge that their product doesn't make sense on Windows 2000, 2003 or XP,
as they don't offer a download option for anything later than NT 4.0.  They
also describe it as a fully commercial product, which means that the price
will be non-trivial; that might be worthwhile if you use their support
services.  However, you aren't using their support services!

The above is the first Google hit, but other companies may be using the
same name.  There are no hits when 15f is added, and the current version
seems to be around 30.

The reference implementation is free of charge, although you are expected
to support yourself.

(I don't know if the 10048 is a socket number, in which case you probably
don't have a clash with W32Time, or a error number.)