[ntp:questions] PCI add on oscillator

Mauro Fiacco Mauro.Fiacco at ipaccess.com
Mon May 16 12:45:39 UTC 2005

Following this question, what would be the effect of having a fairly
stable on board oscillator (e.g. <<1ppm in a few days)?

My understanding is that the NTP PLL assumes that offset measurements
(the output of the Peer Selection and Clock Filter algorithms) are
always more accurate than the oscillator own readings, which may be so
for standard PC oscillators.

How does the NTP algorithm cope with a situation where the stability of
the local oscillator can be ensured for prolonged period of time, while
the network is affected by high jitter and asymmetry?

Thanks,

Mauro