[ntp:questions] Re: Optimizing ntpd memory usage?

David Wuertele dave at rokulabs.com
Mon May 16 22:46:09 UTC 2005

David> Reduce the size of libc by eliminating things that are not
David> actually required by your application.  ntpd locks itself into
David> RAM and given the bloated size of Red Hat's libc, this means
David> locking a lot of library code into RAM.  The 2988 shared
David> represents libc (and maybe some smaller shared libraries).

I don't know how to determine how much of that 2988 is actually used
by other apps --- I expect a lot of it is, and in any case I don't
have control or even visibility into what those apps need because I
have a lot of third party developers using the platform.

But there's also 1.9MB that is *not* shared by other apps, and it
seems excessive to me.  That won't get reduced by trimming libc or
statically linking ntpd.  Is there any way I can cut this down to
something more respectable?

Dave