[ntp:questions] Olson database of timezones in posix.1 format

David Wuertele dave-gnus at bfnet.com
Tue May 17 17:52:11 UTC 2005

Howdy,

I'm interested in getting a list of the world's timezones in the old
posix.1 string format.  That is:

  std offset dst [offset],start[/time],end[/time]

Where "std" is the name of the standard time zone, "offset" is the
offset from UTC, "dst" is the name of the daylight savings time zone,
"start/time" and "end/time" are the time of year that the dst time
zone is in effect.

I am not interested in historical accuracy, and I don't care about the
advanced features of using the tz database directly.  I only care
about the string representations of all time zone definitions for this
moment in time today.

I could generate such a list from the tz database, but it looks like
it could take a while to write a program that I could be confident
about its correctness.  So I'm looking for this data already formatted
as above.

Can anyone point me at an online reference that has the world's
timezones in the above format?

Thanks,
Dave