[ntp:questions] Re: Quasi-On_topic: System (kernel) time jumps 3600 seconds at random times. Stumped.

Allen McIntosh nospam at mouse-potato.com
Wed May 18 18:18:30 UTC 2005

> I'm inclined to doubt that the kludge you describe is worth the effort
> of troubleshooting and fixing it!

I agree.  However, if management insists you can't configure NTP, you
could try running your own cron script that runs
	date "+XX %s"
	date
	ntpdate -q reliable-ntp-server
periodically (say once every 5 minutes or so).  The first date command
gives you something you can process mechanically to look for anomalies;
the rest is really just to provide more readable data.  Then run an
awk/perl/... script once a day or so that looks for jumps of more than
330 seconds or less than 270 seconds.