[ntp:questions] problem with synchronizing two comps to each other

Bjorn Gabrielsson bg at lysator.liu.se
Thu May 19 19:26:11 UTC 2005

Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.isc.org> writes:

> On 2005-05-19, Bjorn Gabrielsson <bg at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>
> > Lots of people run NTP on Linux with no problems. Lots of companys
> > sell Linux based NTP-servers.

> The choice of hardware and kernel version is significant. I've had
> great success running NTP on Linux/x86 systems (Intel Pentium, and AMD
> K6-III).

Me too (PentiumII, ULV Celeron, AMD64)

> And I've found Linux on an AMD Geode system (soekris 4801) to
> be unsuitable for NTP.

I think, I have read a well known freebsd guru prefer AMD Elan 520 (soekris
4501) over the 4801. Even though the Elan 520 (100MHz 486/class) a
older slower processor than the Geode (266MHz pentium class).

Isn't there some kind of "27MHz timer" in the Geode that is related to
the NTP issue? Think there is a linux kernel patch for this beeing
merged into Linus tree quite recently.

> YMMV

As always... :-)

--