[ntp:questions] ntp sanity limit kills ntp daily

Michael Ward michaelward at sprintmail.com
Fri May 20 18:55:10 UTC 2005

Hello All,

I've configured my FC3 system to run ntp successfully at boot time and
ntp seems to run successfully for about a day.  However, every night the
clock looses some 1200 seconds while the system is busy making backups.
  When ntp figures this out, it refuses to update the clock because this
is classified as insane, and terminates.

I happen to agree that the clock loosing about 1200 seconds (for any
reason) seems insane.  However, given that this sort of behavior seems
common enough to be found via google (search for: ntp exceeds sanity
limit), I'm hopeful that there is a way to coax ntp (or some other
automated program) to trudge on and do the deed anyway.

Default rules can make is seem like a crazy world, can't they?

I'm running a self compiled linux kernel 2.6.9 with FC3 linux as
installed from Negus' "Red Hat Fedora Linux 3".  Anyoune out there know
how to make this sort of thing work in a rational manner?

Thanks.

- Mike