[ntp:questions] problem with synchronizing two comps to each other

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Sun May 22 19:43:38 UTC 2005

Danny,

mayer wrote:

> ----- Original Message Follows -----
>> Brad,
>>
>> AFAIK there are some problems with broadcast/multicast modes because
>> things have been implemented in Linux in a different way as commonly
>> known for other Unices. The legacy way works perfectly.
>>

> What kind of problems? The only problem with implementation that I am
> aware of is the way you scan for IPv6 addresses. That problem was fixed
> months ago. I don't know of any special broadcast/multicast issues with
> Linux, so please let me know what you know about this.

Sorry, I've used the wrong words. I'm not aware of any such problems
with the recent ntp-dev version, and that's due to your work.

However, people (specially unexperienced users) often just run the ntpd
that has been shipped with their version of the OS, so they may
actually observe problems which in fact have been fixed months ago.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren