[ntp:questions] Re: Extend time synchronization to Windows

ohaya ohaya at cox.net
Tue May 24 12:06:47 UTC 2005

Martin Burnicki wrote:

> Jim,
>
> ohaya wrote:
> [...]
> > On MS01:  Do "net time /setsntp:Solaris1".  This will cause MS01 (the
> > domain controller) to synch time with Solaris1
> >
> > On MS04 and MS05:  I have to start the W32Time service:
> >
> > net time stop
> > w32tm -once
> > net time start
> >
> > and make sure that the W32Time ("Windows Time") service in these two
> > machines is enabled to Automatic startup.
> >

> > Does the above sound about right?
>
> Basically yes, but if you observe that the PDC does not synchronize to your
> NTP server, the following page may help:
>
> FAQ: "Why does my Windows Time Service (w32time) not Synchronize with my NTP
> Server?"
> http://www.meinberg.de/english/faq/faq_28.htm

Martin,

Thanks (again) for that pointer.

Only one of the machines, MS05, is Windows 2003.  The others, MS04 and
MS01, thank goodness, are Windows 2000 Servers.

If I'm reading the article correctly, since MS01 is the domain
controller, I shouldn't have the problem cited in the article with MS01
synching (acting as a 'time client') with NTP on Solaris1, and MS04 and
MS05 should be fine synching with MS01, (again) the domain controller.

Did I interpret all of that correctly?

Jim