[ntp:questions] Re: ntp sanity limit kills ntp daily

Tue May 24 13:57:59 UTC 2005

Michael Ward <michaelward at sprintmail.com> writes:

> Hello All,
>
> I've configured my FC3 system to run ntp successfully at boot time and ntp
> seems to run successfully for about a day.  However, every night the clock
> looses some 1200 seconds while the system is busy making backups. When ntp
> figures this out, it refuses to update the clock because this is classified as
> insane, and terminates.

I just hope that system doesn't control any nuclear plant, plane, traffic,
car, engine, aquarium, heating, cooling, ...  I mean: That system is broken,
broken, broken. If you want to sync such a thing, write a cron job that calls
the old ntpdate every minute.

Regards,
Ulrich