[ntp:questions] Re: WWV audio driver, FreeBSD, Can't seem to get it going

Ross rwa at augur.bogons
Tue May 24 16:18:01 UTC 2005

rtxo <gnu at wraith.sf.ca.us> writes:

> I've had a sb awe64 (gold) and an sb live both working with freebsd.
> An sb awe32 and an sb es1373 did not work with freebsd, although
> the es1373 works fine with linux, so I know its not the particular
> card.

Hi, Gnu, long time no see.

FWIW, I'm running

    pcm0: <Creative CT5880-A> port 0xcc00-0xcc3f irq 11 at device 17.0 on pci0
    pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9708/11 AC97 Codec>

against a moderately hacked version of ntpd

    ntpd 4.1.73 at 1.982-r Sat Apr 17 22:52:07 MDT 2004 (1)

and most of the trouble was figuring out which one of the potential
source, agc, and monitor controls was the right one.  This set of
sources has run happily in i386 4.8, 4.9, and 5.2.1 environments.  I
plan to take it over to an amd64 box sometime in the next few weeks.

(I ended up extending the pcm-extensions config file to allow admin
selection of various stuff; here's an example:)

    # /etc/ntp.audio#      where # is the unit number
    # /etc/ntp.audio.#     where # is the unit number
    # /etc/ntp.audio
    #
    # for contents of the form:
    #
    # idev /dev/input_device
    # cdev /dev/control_device
    # source <pcm_input_device>
    # agc <pcm_mix_device>
    # monitor <pcm_mix_device>
    #
    # The device names for the "agc" and "monitor" keywords
    # can be found by running either the "mixer" program or the
    # util/audio-pcm (man 8L audio-pcm) program.
    #
    # this one is a Creative SB pci/5880-c, an odd little beast.  Note
    # source and agc aren't the same.  Sigh.
    #
    idev    /dev/audio0.0
    cdev    /dev/mixer0
    source  line