[ntp:questions] Re: Need ntpdate *tool* not *counselor*

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at acm.org
Sun May 29 03:26:22 UTC 2005

"Brian T. Brunner" <brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com> wrote:
> I don't own my time master and have no capacity to 'go over the head' of the master.  I just have to accept whatever time it decides to give me regardless of whatever.
>
> So I command
> ntpdate -d -s -b master
> and I get back
> Server dropped, strata too high
>
> I didn't ask for ntpdate's opinion (counsel) of what height stratum I should be advised to consider acceptable, I wanted ntpdate to go (tool) get the time and use it.
>
> Man pages for ntpdate give me no clues what to do, so I'm asking here.

More than likely, this means that the server you asked reported back
that it was at stratum 16, which amounts to saying "I really don't
know what time it is; don't pretend I'm an authority."

If the folks that configured that server have decided to cause it to
report to you, "Don't pretend I'm an authority!" why should ntpdate
reject that counsel?
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/ntp.html