[ntp:questions] Re: Strange ntpd problem

Chris Brenton cbrenton at chrisbrenton.org
Sat May 28 22:37:12 UTC 2005

Hi Harlan,

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 16:42, Harlan Stenn wrote:

> What startup options are you giving to ntpd?

ntpd -u ntp:ntp -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g

> I suspect you are not using -g and the initial time sync is larger
> than 1000 seconds, which would cause ntpd to exit (after sending a message
> to syslog).

I don't think that's my problem as I ran ntpdate twice before launching
ntpd. The second time showed an offset of only -0.000346 sec.

Also, I'm not see a log entry in messages that identifies why ntpd dies.
I get a Syslog entry with the "startup succeeded" messaged associated
with a PID for ntpd, but when I check running processes the PID is not
active (see output in my last e-mail).

Any other advice?

Thanks for the re!
Chris