[ntp:questions] Tiime Sync solution

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon May 30 08:22:13 UTC 2005

At 1:55 PM +0800 2005-05-30, Eric Liu wrote:

>    I need to implement time synchronization on LAN. And there should be 1ms
>  accuracy.

	With a decent NTP configuration, one millisecond should be easy.
In fact, it should be hard to be that bad.  On my PowerBook G3 laptop
running at 400MHz under MacOS X 10.3.9, using a selection of nearby
Internet time servers, across a wireless network connected to a
relatively slow ADSL line, I'm usually down in the low single-digit
*microsecond* region.  It is not unusual for people who have their
own GPS refclock to be less than a microsecond off.

>             I have studied NTPv4 for several days and the protocol made me
>  dizzy. It is too much complicated. However I realized that I don't have to
>  code by myself at all. I found Ntpd daemon. But could it work for me very
>  well? Any idea?

	That shouldn't be a problem.  You'll want to see the
documentation to make sure that you configure it correctly, however.

	Start at <http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/DocumentationIndex>.
Initially, pay attention to the official NTP FAQ at
<http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-a-faq.htm> and the unofficial
community supported documentation at
<http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/WebHome>, and refer to the
complete official documentation at
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/index.html> if you need
more detail.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755