[ntp:questions] Re: different times from same ntp server

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon May 30 12:50:24 UTC 2005

At 3:39 PM +0300 2005-05-30, Tapio Sokura wrote:

>  I'd say it is mostly a matter of personal preference. On machines that
>  only run linux I usually keep the system clock in UTC. One advantage
>  of keeping the clock in UTC is that the time is never ambiguous, which
>  is possible if the timezone is not UTC and observes summer time.

	If you're managing more than one machine, then keeping all your
systems in UTC makes it much easier to correlate events from one
machine to another, by looking in their log files (i.e., some event
happened on one machine at such-and-such time, so what was happening
on the other machine around that time?).  It also makes it much
easier to immediately see if the clocks are way off, because you
don't have to do any time zone calculations in your head.

	The only reason (I know of) that you might want to run your
systems in any timezone other than UTC is if those darn pesky humans
come into the equation and they're confused when the clock says that
the time is 12:46PM when you know it's actually late afternoon.

	That problem can be fixed by running the system clock in UTC, but
having individual users set their timezone preference within their
login scripts, etc....

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755