[ntp:questions] Re: Tiime Sync solution

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue May 31 21:52:24 UTC 2005

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

Offset is not quite the same as accuracy.  It's the difference between
your clock and the server's clock.   When I'm synchronized to GPS, I see
offsets on the internet servers ranging from +/- 2 ms to +/-30ms.  A
server is only as good as what it is synchronized with. . . .    I have
a server here at home that's technically stratum one because it's
synchronized to a WWV receiver.  At night, when I have good, solid,
signal it's within a millisecond or so; during the daylight hours,
reception is poor and synchronization is not good!!  During daylight
hours I have seen it be off by more than 30 ms!!!

There are some rock solid servers out there and then there are the
others, with all the stability of a bowl full of Jello!  I will name no
names because there, but for the grace of God. . . .