[ntp:questions] Tiime Sync solution

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue May 31 21:56:05 UTC 2005

At 8:11 PM +0000 2005-05-31, Bjorn Gabrielsson wrote:

>  Cannot remember reading about a GPS receiver with 1PPS output
>  specified worse than 1us. Get a reciever with a 1PPS, and you are home
>  free!

	There's a lot more to it than just PPS.  El-cheapo $80 GPS
receivers can do remarkably well, but there's a reason why Meinberg
can make a profit selling units for much more.

>>  	With lots of hard work, and some luck in finding used Rubidium
>>  clocks at reasonable prices, Poul-Henning Kamp was able to put
>>  together some devices that achieved sub-millisecond accuracy.  But
>>  that's a lot of hard work.
>
>  I would say phk did sub-microsecond.

	I'd have to check his papers and maybe talk to him.  I was
thinking that he had done sub-microsecond resolution, but then I was
also thinking that the time offsets output by ntpq are in
microseconds.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755