[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd Not Converging

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 4 07:58:45 UTC 2005

In article <u4zaf.349$j87.71 at fe19.usenetserver.com>,
David T. Ashley <dta at e3ft.com> wrote:

> I am a first-time ntpd user.

> I have a Dell server running Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  If I reboot it, the

If you are using the Red Had RPM for ntp, you should get your support from
Red Hat as they do not use the standard source code.  Alternatively, you
should compile and install the latest standard source code.

In any case, you need to tell us the version.

>    tinker step 900.0

Tinkering a system also puts it into an unsupported category.

> server utcnist.colorado.edu            maxpoll 12
> server ntp0.fau.de                     maxpoll 12

It doesn't make sense to have servers in both the USA and Germany.
Not only do you have European and US servers but they are not even on
their respective Atlantic coasts.

A beginner should not be overriding minpoll or maxpoll.  minpoll (as
indicated by the comments, but not the code), can prevent convergence,
although not in this case.

> server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
> fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10

Why do you have this configured.  Configuring local clock should always be
an opt in decision.  If your clients also have step tinkered, there is no
conceivable reason for including this.

> *time-b.nist.gov .ACTS.           1 u   10   64  377   40.004  -1970.6   5.999

There is no way that you should be using stratum one servers if you are
continually rebooting, and have tinkered step.  Stratum one servers should
only be used when distributing time to large numbers of local machines, from
a high quality stratum 2 server; your server isn't high quality.  You should
be using your ISP's stratum 2 or 3 servers.

>  india.colorado. .INIT.          16 u    -  512    0    0.000    0.000
4000.00

This server isn't responding.