[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd Not Converging

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Nov 5 02:00:48 UTC 2005

David,

If you are using the kernel discipline, be advised it is not designed to
handle offsets greater than 0.5 s. Your question about the control law
is answered in the briefings on the NTP project page. Technically, the
control law is a hybrid, adaptive-parameter, phase/frequency feedback
loop, which of course doesn't tell you much. Control theorists would
recognize it as a somewhat modified second-order phase-locked loop.

Folks who can't stand to be jerked should first mumble ntptime -f 0.
Then remove the ntp.drift file and put disable kernel in the
configuration file.

Dave

ntptime -f 0