[ntp:questions] NTPD conf for GPS under Windows

Jacky Hicks root at localhost.invalid
Tue Nov 8 10:46:53 UTC 2005

Hello,

After successfully installing and configuring
ntp-4.2.0b at 20051016-1.1417-o-win32
(port by Meinberg, available at
http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_nt)
on my Windows 2000 SP4 server, I wanted to sync with a USB gps i got in my
desk
for several months.

It looks like a cheap one
 http://img484.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pic24lx.jpg )
and it is ( 12 channel Evermore chip ). I should be able to give
NMEA 0183 (V 2.2) - GGA, GLL, GSA, GSV, RMC, VTG with WGS-84 Datum

After installing the drivers I got it showing as COM3 under hardware
manager.
Reading the NTP documentation i choosed to add
 server 127.127.20.3 mode 7
in my ntpd.conf, restarted an waited for a fix.
But it never came.

State Remote Refid Stratum Type When Poll Reach Delay Offset Jitter
127.127.20.3 GPS 0 Local clock - 64 000 0.000 0.000 0.001
(followed by a list of well working NTP servers)

In clockstats i get
53682 36028.896 127.127.20.3
$GPGGA,100028.000,____.____,N,_____.____,E,0,00,,,M,,M,,*42$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,*1E$GPGSV,3,1,12,06,16,205,00,04,03,09
[...]
53682 38031.445 127.127.20.3
$GPGGA,103350.000,____.____,N,_____.____,E,0,00,,,M,,M,,*4D$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,*1E$GPGSV,2,1,06,26,06,167,00,30,32,25
(Yes I hide my LAT/LON)

>From my knowledge of NMEA sentences $GPGSA,A,1 means no fix, but I don't
know
if those log lines are processed by ntpd or the raw output at my com port.
For Example
the GSV sentence is missing it's checksum.

So my question are :
Is my server line correct ?
Are the clockstats a modified version of what came from my com port ?
Can somebody with a working GPS post a few clockstats line so I can see what
it should
looklike ?

Thanks in advance,

Jacky Hicks