[ntp:questions] Re: NTPD conf for GPS under Windows

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung_removeme_ at meinberg.de
Tue Nov 8 11:35:28 UTC 2005

Jacky,

Jacky Hicks wrote:
> After successfully installing and configuring
> ntp-4.2.0b at 20051016-1.1417-o-win32
> (port by Meinberg, available at
> http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_nt)
> on my Windows 2000 SP4 server, I wanted to sync with a USB gps i got in my
> desk
> for several months.

I see three problems here:
a) I am pretty sure that there is no support for NMEA clocks built into
the Windows port of NTP
b) Using USB introduces heavy jitter, therefore a USB connection renders
your GPS almost useless
c) cheap GPS receivers not designed to be used as a time reference tend
to send out their time stamps with a delay that disqualifies them for timing

You should use that GPS with your notebook as a navigation gadget and
configure a set of pool servers (http://www.pool.ntp.org/) as your
primary sources of time.

Kind regards,
Heiko

MEINBERG Radio Clocks
www.meinberg.de

IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.