[ntp:questions] Re: What does 73.78.73.84 refer to?

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung_removeme_ at meinberg.de
Tue Nov 8 13:23:46 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:
> I see "73.78.73.84" as the refid for the local clock on one of my
> machines (running Fedora Core 4 Linux, if that helps), and I can't figure
> out where it gets that from, nor what it means.

73 is the ASCII code for "I", 78 is "N", another 73 "I" and finally 84
stands for "T"... therefore 73.78.73.84 is "INIT"... there was a bug in
certain versions of NTP where the refid of the LOCALCLK driver was not
set correctly. If you really care about that, you can fudge the refid to
something else. IIRC it was only a display problem and had no other
drawbacks..

Kind regards,
Heiko

MEINBERG Radio Clocks
www.meinberg.de

IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.