[ntp:questions] NTP local clock on Windows - updated reference time?

Adam Wilt awilt at omneon.com
Fri Nov 11 22:52:45 UTC 2005

Adam Wilt wrote:

> I've installed NTP 4.2.0b for Windows using the excellent installer
> from Meinberg, and I've set it up to use the local clock as its sole
> reference (for isolated networks installed in TV stations; yes, they
> should have a reference clock and/or a connection to better time
> servers, but that's not something I have control over, and no, it's
> not the automation network; that one HAS a good reference clock!).
>
> Using ntpdate -d from various Linux boxes, which will be using the
> Windows box as their time server (yes, I know this is backwards;
> again, this is not my architectural choice), I see that the reference
> time reported by NTP is set once, then never again. Eventually,
> ntpdate refuses to sync to it as the server's reference time has gone
> too long without an update.

I've gone back to Meinberg's site and installed version 4.2.0a
(specifically, I tried both ntp-4.2.0a at 1.1354-o-win32-setup.exe and
ntp-4.2.0a at 1.1370-o-win32-setup.exe). Both of them behave the way Linux
NTP (ntpd 4.2.0a at 1.1190-r Thu Apr 14 07:45:36 EDT 2005) does; the
reference clock gets updated on every poll of the local clock.

So: is this difference a bug in 4.2.0b? Or is it a change in desired
behavior since 4.2.0a?