[ntp:questions] Re: Problems with NTP with slewing large time offsets

rayvt ray at mot.com
Mon Nov 14 16:44:46 UTC 2005

Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.isc.org> wrote in
news:ywn9r79ke2ca.fsf at ntp1.isc.org:

> The changes to propose/describe to the algorithm need to be OK'd by Dave.

Yes.  That's why I'm asking for comments before working up a patch.

> - use ntp-wait in your RC setup, before starting time-critical services
>
> All of this is described at:
>
>  http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/StartingNTP4

I've already done these things.  But we can't use ntp-wait.  Out
application is a controller, and must come up immediately after bootup,
regardless of whether or not the time is synced and whether or not we can
even reach any time server(s).

But after it comes up, it cannot handle a time step so we can only allow
the time to slew.  But after we've slewed to an offset of near zero, we
want to use all the facilities of ntp & kernel ntp support to keep the time
accurately synchronized.

Regards,
Ray