[ntp:questions] win32 undisciplined local clock sync time

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Fri Nov 18 03:47:21 UTC 2005

Hello,

I am new to NTP. I have a windows server and linux clients.

My server is win2003 setup with meinberg's
ntp-4.2.0b at 20051016-1.1417-o-win32-setup.exe

The clients are all Fedora Core 4 linux, Fedora ntp version is
ntp-4.2.0.a.20040617-8

I've setup the ntp.conf on the server with :

driftfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
server 127.127.1.0 prefer
fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 8 refid NIST
disable auth

per the document at :

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver1.html

Also I have verified that the "-g" option is in the win32 service startup.

Here are my questions:

1) The service on the win2003 box takes 2-3 minutes to drop from stratum
16 to stratum 9. The linux boxes won't sync to stratum 16, so I have to
wait several minutes between booting the server and the clients. Is
there a way to make the win32 box sync faster?

2) If I reboot the linux clients after a couple of days I get a "too
long without sync" message, and the service on the win2003 box has to be
restarted, with another wait of 2-3 minutes to drop from stratum 16 to
stratum 9, then reboot the linux clients. Is there a way to configure
the linux NTP daemons to sync to the server even though the server has aged?

3) Are IRIG sync'd rackmount NTP servers commonly available? I plan on
putting one in the lab and leaving it on all the time as a possible
solution (but see the next question...)

4) True NIST-traceable time is not important to me, relative time is.
I've heard about some plans for an "orphan mode" NTP server
configuration. Is this in the meinberg exe and/or are there plans to
release such a capability at some point?

Any other comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
John