[ntp:questions] server's address in ntp payload?

Ulisses ulisses.alonso at unavarra.es
Fri Nov 18 15:05:06 UTC 2005

Hi Danny

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 09:24:34AM -0500, Danny Mayer wrote:
> Ulisses wrote:
[...]
> > The usefulness I wanted with it is to try getting the
> > loopback address of ntp servers running on routers
> >

> That's confusing me. Do you really mean the loopback addresss -
> 127.0.0.1 and ::1 or did you mean an address bound to the interface?

many (all?) routers wich run a routing protocol have an special address
that's called "loopback address" which is not 127.0.0.1

I wanted to check what address returned the ntp process on routers
(if it was possible) in the ntp header, in hope to obtain the
loopback address I mention.

[...]

> There nearest thing to an identifier is the refid. Unfortunately it's
> flawed in the NTP reference implmentation since you can get different
> refid's from different addresses on the machine.

ok

Thanks for your comments

	Ulisses

PD: I did not reply the rest of the e-mail because I suposse it is clear now

                Debian GNU/Linux: a dream come true
"Computers are useless. They can only give answers."            Pablo Picasso