[ntp:questions] ntpdate changes local linux pc clock only from command line

r inpost at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 09:07:32 UTC 2005

I have installed ntp 412 on my pc operating gnu linux mandrake 92
(kernel 2422).
During startup the ntpd service starts OK, however when automatic log
in to gnome 24 is completed, the time clock is not updated (e.g. 12:05,
01-Jan-97)
I run gnome terminal and as root run the command

.../ntpdate uk.pool.ntp.org

A few seconds or so later, the local pc clock is successfully updated.
Why is the clock not updated during the start up process? Below is the
ntp.conf file, located in my /etc directory:

driftfile /etc/ntp/ntp.drift

server uk.pool.ntp.org
server 0.pool.ntp.org
server 1.pool.ntp.org