[ntp:questions] Re: server's address in ntp payload?

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Sat Nov 19 10:47:44 UTC 2005

"David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> wrote in message
news:dllhoh$4e3$1 at dewey.udel.edu...

> David,
>
> That's what the server private seed is for. It is never divulged.

    If it's never divulged, how can you use it to tell you who sent you the
packet?

    For example, suppose I have two servers, A and B. A is talking to a
third server C. I wish to determine if a server B is talking to is that same
server C, or a distinct server, D. How will a session hash help me do that?
On the other hand, a public server ID that is globally unique *will* help me
do that. The source IP won't, because a single machine can have multiple
addresses.

    DS