[ntp:questions] Re: win32 undisciplined local clock sync time

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Sat Nov 19 11:43:04 UTC 2005

"Skunk Worx" <skunkworx at verizon.net> wrote in message
news:Ernff.39$9P5.18 at trnddc09...
> Steve Kostecke wrote:
[...]
>> The undisciplined local clock (127.127.1.x) is not appropriate for
>> this purpose.
>
> Yes it is. This is an isolated test environment, and I am following
> the NTP documents, adhering to the warnings, and insuring I affect
> no one else.

(Some) people here have a way of getting religious about what NTP
should be made to do and what is (horrified face) "inappropriate".

NTP can do several things for you. Some of these things _are_ lost
without proper reference clocks. Like the length of a second; it will
vary with the temperature around a local clock oscillator. There are
people who genuinely don't care about this, and other people who
genuinely don't grasp that.

[...]
>> Then why are you telling your undisciplined local clock to use
>> "NIST" as its ref-id?
>
> This was taken directly from the NTP documents for using an
> undisciplined local time source (for testing, etc.) :
>
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver1.html

above, but you did this without understanding them.

That page explains how you could synchronise a local clock to NIST
using means outside NTP. _Then_ it would be reasonable to fudge its
refid to NIST. Not if you simply let it run free.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink