[ntp:questions] Re: ntpdate changes local linux pc clock only from command line

Vincent Zweije vzweije at sense.znet
Sat Nov 19 12:33:44 UTC 2005

In article <1132391252.311336.184110 at g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, r
<inpost at gmail.com> wrote:

||  I have installed ntp 412 on my pc operating gnu linux mandrake 92
||  (kernel 2422).
||  During startup the ntpd service starts OK, however when automatic log
||  in to gnome 24 is completed, the time clock is not updated (e.g. 12:05,
||  01-Jan-97)
||  I run gnome terminal and as root run the command
||  .../ntpdate uk.pool.ntp.org
||  A few seconds or so later, the local pc clock is successfully updated.
||  Why is the clock not updated during the start up process? Below is the
||  ntp.conf file, located in my /etc directory:

ntpdate != ntpd

ntpd, which is probably the thing started in your boot sequence, refuses
to run if the time is too far off.  You need to set the time to something
approximately okay, using ntpdate or your wrist watch, first.

||  driftfile /etc/ntp/ntp.drift
||  server uk.pool.ntp.org
||  server 0.pool.ntp.org
||  server 1.pool.ntp.org
||  Also, when I try to run the command
||  .../ntpq -pn
||  I receive the reply
||  .../ntpq: read: Connection refused
||  Why does this happen?

ntpd refused to start.

Ciao.                                                            Vincent.
--
Vincent Zweije <zweije at xs4all.nl>    | "If you're flamed in a group you
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/>      | don't read, does anybody get burnt?"